5/22/2006

Đai Giác Temple Visiting

I took picture with Rev. Thích Giác Hai, Rev. Seido, and their disciple, Nancy.

Three days ago, I received an email from one of my disciples, Frank. He asked me to help him in translating a letter. It was a collection circular from a Buddhist temple. I was curious about this temple, so I asked Shan to make an appointment with them.

It is a Vietnamese temple locates at downtown. When I was there, I went to the Buddha in the Grand Hall and gave a prostrate to the Buddha. After I bowed to the Buddha, I saw a monk walked towards me with excitement. He is the Abbot of the Dai Giác Temple. The Abbot, Rev. Thích Giác Hai, was a monk that I have met six years ago when he visited Taiwan. I have guided him to visit my temple and showed him how to beat a drum in the Buddhism way. I am surprised he still remembers after six years. He told me that I give him a very nice impression in that time.

Buddhist aphorism said, "Deal good relationship with all beings before you enlighten to be Buddha." Master always practices this aphorism. I treat everyone as my own family and respect them. Every time I meet with others I always give them my best attitude and the selfless compassion. I never ask for any return, however, I get unexpected surprises almost every time. You never know when you will meet a friend who has only met you once before, and six year later you see him again.

I also know an American monk Rev. Seido there. He is a friendly and witty monk. We discussed about spreading Buddhism in America and some of Buddhism concept. Before I left there, Rev. Seido prostrate to me with modesty (It is one of the Buddhist way to show your respect), I also return him with a prostration. After we bow to each other, he gave me a hug. I am used to American manners, so I hug him too. But I don't know how the disciples will feel like when they see two monks hug each other....