5/05/2006

Echo: Exhausted but Meaningful Day

Shan Chen is a sponsor of the Zen House. Since last month, we have been looking for a place for the Zen House. Last week, we went out together to discuss with a broker and looked at some houses. She wrote down her experience and asked me to post her journal on my blog.
Here is her sharing.


Sunday, April 30, 2006

Early in the morning, I took Rev. Jian Dan to view the neighborhood where a few houses were listed for sale. After the trip, we debated pros and cons and selected three houses for further consideration. We want a place that is (1) convenient for people to visit him and he can conduct his mission, (2) quiet and safe that he con concentrate on his study, (3) not too old to maintain.

We selected three houses. I made an appointment with a real estate broker to see the inside of these houses around noon. Afterwards, we met the broker’s husband at one of their rent properties.

The broker and her husband had a long conversation with Rev. Jian Dan on Buddhism and how to deal with difficult issues based on Buddha’s teaching. To my surprise, so many Buddhists do not know the true meaning of Buddha that is an awakening being that we all can achieve.

After the meeting, I drove Rev. Jian Dan home around 6:30pm. He told me that he was hungry since he had not eaten lunch yet. While we were eating, I told him to take care of his health. Since his mission is a lonely journey, to be healthy physically is one of the most important factors to achieve his goal. I asked him why he did not shorten that conversation with them. He looked at me and told me that he had to grasp and fully utilize the opportunity since it was not easy to meet someone who was not only willingly to listen but also responded with feedback spontaneously. He said once the opportunity was gone, it probably would take another hundreds of years for him to see them again.

I have finally realized why those who know Rev. Jian Dan always feel close to him. He touches people through his heart no matter who and what they are. Though I am not a religions person, I am learning and try to learn from him. Hopefully, one of these days, I also can accept people through my heart.

Well, day is over. Though we have not found the house we really want, Rev. Jian Dan spread his mission and planted Buddha’s teaching in their minds. I do believe these seeds will grow and every contact Rev. Jian Dan made will have positive influence. What else can a human being ask for in such a short life term!

By Shan Chen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

恩,
最近開始動手做網頁了,
想到師父您可以用你的美工技巧,
畫一些有趣的漫畫,
吸引大家來接觸佛法。
^^

這禮拜回山上浴佛,
老和尚身體看起來硬朗,
開示了很久,
他希望能夠蓋普台高中,
和尚的腳步好快阿!

最後,
沒有什麼特別的,
暑假,
應該會用打工的錢去付補習的費用吧!
有爭取到獎學金就可以出國了,
不過前提是您還在美國過的好好的,
哈!

Anonymous said...

師父~~您好
我是傳珞介紹的
是他逼我留言的
哈哈

石師父 said...

這樣的留言,我是該哭還是該笑呢!好像應該留到中文版吧!留在這兒老美又看不懂。
不過上來了,留留言吧!然後記得也要看一看內容。不要只看圖片啊…

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»